About Cocoa Butter
One of nature's finest ingredients!
Cocoa Butter is one of nature's greatest products. It works wonders for skin and hair, and it's also used to make chocolate! The Theobroma Cacao tree is native to the deep tropical regions of Central and South America. Cocoa butter is derived from the seeds of the Theobroma cacao tree's fruit pods. The name "Theobroma" is derived from the Greek words "θεός" (theos), meaning "god", and "βρῶμα" (broma), meaning "food". Meaning literally "food of the gods."
So how do these little seeds become the "food of the gods?"
It is made by taking whole cocoa beans, which are the seeds of the Theobroma cacao tree, and fermenting them, roasting them, and then separating them from their hulls, and crushing them to a paste. The majority of the leftover residue is cocoa butter, which is what is used in cosmetic products like ours, while everything else leftover is used to make chocolate! Whether you wish it was chocolate or not, we assure you that you will be glad that Cocoa butter is in our products!
Benefits of Cocoa Butter
- Cocoa butter is made up of rich, healthy vegetable fat, similar to coconut oil and shea butter. The following are some of its excellent benefits.
- Cocoa Butter contains stearic, palmitic, and various saturated fatty acids. It also has unsaturated fatty acids such as oleic, linoleic, and more. These essential fatty acids nourish dry skin, repair the skin barrier and improve your skin’s moisture retention abilities. Thus, skin appears softer and smoother!
- Healthy Saturated Fats can get a bad rap when it comes to consumption, but the truth is that when these medium-chain fatty acids are applied to the skin, they are essential to clearing up acne, reducing the appearance of stretch marks, and smoothing out and firming your skin.
- It contains Vitamin K. Recent research has shown that vitamin K can strengthen the capillaries beneath the skin, therefore can improve the skin's blood circulation beneath the skin, which can help reduce inflammation, calm irritation, and reduce redness.
- Cocoa Butter’s vitamin E makes skin soft, radiant, and healthy, reduces the appearance of scars, fine lines, and wrinkles, and rejuvenates dehydrated skin.
- It's packed with antioxidants that fight inflammation and free radicals, which allows collagen proteins to continue being produced. Cocoa is rich in polyphenolic compounds, especially flavanols. These naturally-occurring antioxidants help restore your skin’s antioxidant-oxidant balance and delay signs of aging. Further, according to research published in the International Journal of Cosmetic Science on Cocoa polyphenols and their influence on parameters involved in ex vivo skin restructuring, cocoa polyphenols influence collagen synthesis and thereby help reduce wrinkles and improve your skin’s elasticity.